It is so easy to look at society and try to find our identity in the world, to view ourselves in one of the labels or boxes of categories so easily given out. But the truth of it all is that who we identify as and the real truth about who we are is already told to us in the bible.
You aren’t just some jock, musician, book worm or whatever else you might have been told. You aren’t rejected or misunderstood because
You are loved
You are forgiven
You have freedom
You are beautiful
You are His
The enemy tries to put lies into society that cause us to lose sight of our true identity in Christ and rob us of the truths of who the bible tells us we are. As a child of Christ the insecurities we feel should not be weighed down by the world but lifted off our shoulders by the truths in the bible. The enemy works in the world to tear us down, he comes to steal peace, joy and love. One way he tries to do it is by having us believe lies about who we are and ruin our self-esteem.
Growing up and still to this day I battle with my own insecurities about who I am, and relationships and what I am called to do. When I listen to the voices of society it’s easy to lose sight of who God calls me to be and to hear what the world tells me I am. The enemy works in the world to tear us down, robbing us of the joys in what Jesus tells us we are.
There are days when I doubt myself and the life I have, questioning almost everything but then how I silence the insecurities and cast out the lies of the world is by reading the truth of the bible and what the God tells me I am. The things I often don’t like about myself are often the things God is able to use the most in my life.
Overcoming and battling insecurities is one of the most universal things almost everyone will admit to dealing with. Everyone tends to pick out their flaws and forgets to admire the beauty in who they were created to be. The things people don’t like about themselves is normal are the things others admire them for and God uses to shine his light into the world.
Next time you find the enemy whispering lies about who you are, here are five truths that the Bible tells you, you are:
- You are loved - I in them and you in me--so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.- John 17:23
- You are forgiven If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. - 1 John 1:9
- You are beautiful - Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord -Psalm 45:11 New International Version (NIV)
- You have freedom - In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.- Ephesians 3:12
- You are His - But now, this is what the Lord says—he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.- Isaiah 43:1